Truss takes over British premiership with Conservative Party win


September 16, 2022

Liz Truss arrives at Balmoral Castle to be sworn in as the new prime minister.

(JNS) - Liz Truss won the vote on Monday to become the leader of Britain's Conservative Party, a contest that also decided who will replace Boris Johnson as prime minister.

Truss, who served in Johnson's Cabinet as foreign secretary, was the odds-on favorite. She received 57.4 percent of the vote among party members, while her opponent, former chancellor of the exchequer Rishi Sunak, garnered 42.6 percent.

In a brief acceptance speech, Truss said that she would cut taxes, tackle the energy crisis and improve national health care.

The first woman from her party to serve as foreign secretary, sh...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2024