Insights from The Orlando Senior Help Desk: Mild cognitive impairment
August 25, 2023
Caring for an individual with memory problems can be difficult and stressful. What is mild cognitive impairment? Usually this signifies change in cognition (memory and the ability to understand one’s world), essentially the way a person thinks. Cognition includes memory and the ability to understand one’s world.
Symptoms of MCI:
• Difficulty forming short-term memories
• Difficulty communicating complete thoughts
• Easily distracted
• Inability to concentrate
• Mental fog, confusion
Most people see a physician when some changes in cognition are observed. Blood testing can be done, as well as neurological tests and brain imaging.
Tips for Caring for a loved one with MCI:
1. Be Educated: If you’re providing care for a loved one with MCI, the better informed you are about the condition, the better you’ll be able to provide positive care.
2. Create a positive environment: Make sure the person has plenty to do. An active mind is a healthy mind and keeping their mind and body active is often the best thing a caregiver can do. This can include reading a book or playing games, visiting a museum, or going for a walk.
3. Diet and exercise. A healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables coupled with exercise has a positive impact on the brain and cognitive function.
While most seniors face major adjustments when transitioning to an elder-care community, Jewish seniors face additional challenges. Not only do they lose their homes, and many of their friends, but they also lose ties to their cultural heritage. This is where the Jewish Pavilion, a 501c3 non-profit, steps in. The Pavilion serves as a resource that provides room visits, festive holiday celebrations, and more to 450 Jewish residents in fifty facilities for seniors. The Jewish Pavilion promotes inclusion, and thousands of seniors of all faiths are welcomed into our programs. http://www.JewishPavilion.org
The Orlando Senior Help Desk at the Jewish Pavilion (407-678-9363) helps thousands of callers navigate their way through the daunting senior maze, alleviating caregiver stress while giving advice on all types of elder issues. http://www.OrlandoSeniorHelpDesk.org.